The visit of a dwelling is the crucial step in finding the apartment of your dreams. In order not to be distracted by the decor before signing a lease, it is best to anticipate and know what questions to ask the owner. Kangalou listed the top 5 most important points to discuss with the owner at the time of the visit.
- Do you cover the painting fees? Can I paint in any colour?
- Can I make decorative changes?
- Have the locks been changed recently?
- Who are the other tenants of the building?
- Is the dwelling well insulated?
Services and amenities included
- What type of heating is employed? Is heating included in the rent?
- Are hot water and electricity included? If not, then what are the costs?
- Is there an entry for a washer-dryer?
- Are appliances included?
Length and terms of the lease
- Are animals allowed? Which?
- Is there a right of access to the backyard?
- Does the lease have special conditions?
- Do you pay the repair costs of the appliances, if they are included in the rental?
- What to do in case of minor repairs?
- Who is responsible for snow removal?
- How is the neighbourhood, what are the nearest shops?
- Is there an allotted parking space?
- Can you easily park in the neighbouring streets?
- What are the nearest means of public transportation?
By discussing these topics with the owner, you should be able to make an informed decision after visiting a dwelling.